Vision and Values
Our vision is to multiply disciples of Jesus Christ until the Glory of God covers the earth as water covers the sea (Habakkuk 2:14). As an historic congregation we self consciously resist nostalgia. We trace our heritage to the 18th century in the planting of the first presbyterian churches in the United States. However, EPC came out of it’s mother church in Newark in the 1930s because the congregation’s passion for mission could not be sustained by the denomination. Since that time our congregation has planted four churches in Newark and maintained a strong focus on strategic global missions. In the last five years we have strengthened our local mission work through partnership and renewed investment in our own community outreach to children, families and the arts community.
God continues to add to our number and give us fresh passion for His kingdom. Our leadership is prayerfully seeking God’s will for a near term focus in mission that will be God honoring in scope, kingdom building, and highly strategic. Join us in our present worship of God and our pursuit of His future glory.
“to know Christ”
“to know Christ” means that each of our members has a solid foundation in the gospel, evidences growth in the transforming grace of Christ through the means that Christ established in His Word–corporate worship, faithful attention to the preaching of God’s Word, worthy participation in the sacraments, prayer, study of the Scriptures, and fellowship–and experiences the joy that Jesus Christ alone is our certain hope, just as He is the hope of the nations.
“to make Him known”
“to make Him known” means that we are intentional about sharing the gospel with the people in our community through practical and loving involvement of our members in their lives. It also means that we faithfully support national and global missions through prayer, finances, and personal participation.
“according to the Word of God”
“according to the Word of God” means that all we do is consistent with the teaching of the Scriptures. We believe the Bible is God’s written, infallible Word, and the final authority in all matters of faith and life.
“for His glory alone”
“for His glory alone” means that the motivation and desired outcome of our work is to bring honor and glory to God alone
- The Bible – God’s written, infallible Word, the final authority in all matters of faith and life
- The Westminster Confession of Faith – best summary of the system of doctrine taught in the Bible, commonly known as the “Reformed Faith”
- Christ-centered corporate worship (Hebrews 10:19-25)
- Discipleship ministries that reproduce changed lives (2 Timothy 1:1-2)
- Mutual support and practical care for our Church family (Romans 12)
- Children ministries that nurture and teach children to love the Lord, and train them in Godly wisdom. (Deuteronomy 6:5-7; Proverbs 22:6)
- Training that builds and strengthens Covenant homes. (Ephesians 5:21-6:4)
- Equipping Christians to eagerly serve our Lord. (Hebrews 13:21; Ephesians 4:11-16)
- Evangelistic and missionary outreach, local, national, and global, driven by the gospel. (Mark 16:15; Matthew 28:19)